I have been blogging for a month now, and in that time I have been thinking about what exactly I want my Blog to be, and what I want to include in it. I like having the parenting side of things and I like to have my Yarn Baby updates, but these are a little sporadic, so I think it would be nice to include some other crafts, as I do like to try a range of different things, and I think this would tie in nicely with Yarn Baby. I’ve therefore decided to do a How To series of fairly easy crafts that don’t require a specific skill so that other people can have a go at them, some for adults, some to make for kids and some to make with kids.
For my first effort I have chosen to make a sugar scrub. I have been spending a lot of time on Pinterest lately looking for homemade beauty recipes, partly because I think its pretty cool that you can make things with so few ingredients, and partly because I think they will make nice Birthday and Christmas presents this year – I am trying to spend less this year as my maternity leave money is going to run out soon!!
A sugar scrub seemed a good place to start as I already had all the ingredients in the house – bonus!
- 1 part Coconut Oil
- 3 parts Granulated white sugar
- 2-4 drops Food colouring
- 10-15 drops of Essential oil
- Jar to store it in. I chose a 500ml Kilner jar, so my quantities for the oil and sugar were 125g and 375g.
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds until melted
- Pour the sugar into the oil and mix – if it is a bit too wet then just add a little more sugar
- Add the food colouring to make the desired colour
- Add the essential oil as required to achieve the scent you want
- Store in an airtight container
For my first test batch I used a yellow food colouring and a honeysuckle oil that I had, but the possibilities are endless! I think a pink/purple colour and lavender oil would make a great gift, and I have a lovely christmassy spicy orange scent from the Body Shop which I really want to try out for myself!
I used mine in the bath the other night and it really does work very nicely. The sugar is scrubby enough (I dont like scrubs that dont feel like they are doing anything!) and the oil offers a nice amount of moisture.
I think in a Kilner jar with a pretty label or gift tag this would make a lovely present for someone 🙂
Let me know if you have a go at making this and what you think of it!