Fancy Inviting a Fairy into your home?!
My How to Make today is a present for children which will spark their imagination. These Fairy Gates are made with very few items but will take a bit of creativity and fiddling with!
They could also be adapted to most seasons or holidays, so you could have an Easter or Christmas Fairy, or a Birthday Fairy! What little kid wouldnt like a Fairy to visit them on their Birthday?!
What you will need:
- Paper or card
- Craft sticks/popsickle sticks
- Acrylic paint and brush
- White glue
- Decoration items – Buttons/Glitter/Paper flowers/Moss/Whatever you fancy!
What to do:
- Firstly, decide on the shape you want your door to be – I quite like the one below where it is higher in the middle, and how wide you want it to be. Then stick the required number of craft sticks closely to each other onto a piece of paper. This will give the sticks support but will also let the door bend.
- When it has dried, if you are adding any other sticks to the door do this now – like my cross slats on the white door. When your sticks have dried to the paper you may find they curl a bit. This isnt a problem, just place something heavy ontop for a couple of hours (double checking its all dry first!) and it will flatten out nicely.
- Once this second lot of glue has dried paint the front and sides of the sticks in your chosen colour.
- This is then your basic door and now you can go nuts with your decorations! Whatever you fancy, button door handles, Rambling faux flowers, puffs of glitter, whatever you have available or know that your child would like
- If you want to prop your door in a plant pot then you will need to glue another stick to the back of the door which will be staked into the soil. This is what I did with mine as I think it looks cute, but you could attached them to the front of the plant pot, or even to a skirting board (if you are going to do that then I would recommend something thats not going to wreck them, like those picture hanging strips that are meant to be easy to remove!)
And it is as simple as that to add a bit of whimsy and magic to your childrens day! Perhaps you could make one of these doors and then leave them little fairy notes during the night…..
Just a note that these are meant to be for decoration and are therefore fairly fragile and not suitable to be used as toys, or to be left outside like in my photos!